Starting March 24, our studios have closed and all lessons will be conducted as scheduled via video conference.
If you're spending extra time at home during school closures and social distancing, there's no better time to practice your instrument and further your musical development.
We're committed to providing everyone with continuous instruction and mentoring during this time!
Transitioning to a new lesson format can seem difficult at first, but we're here to help. Please see below for more information.
Online lessons: March 24, 2020 till further notice
Closed for spring break: March 15 - March 20, 2020
Video conferencing equipment
In order to participate, you'll need an internet-ready device with a microphone and camera. Most laptops and smartphones are perfect for this.
Video conferencing programs
Your teacher will communicate with you directly to coordinate technology for your online lessons. Teachers are each prepared to connect with you via Skype, FaceTime, or a similar video conferencing program.
If this is your first time connecting this way, it's normal to have some technical difficulties. To minimize frustration and maximize your lesson time, please prepare in advance by familiarizing yourself with your devices and the program(s) that your teacher offers. For more information about each program, here are helpful links:
- FaceTime (only available on Apple devices)
Making the most of online lessons
- Be sure to position the camera and microphone in such a way that you are well-lit and easy to hear.
- For most instruments, your teacher will need to see your hands in order to give feedback on your technique.
- Your teacher may also ask you to send them photos of the music you're using so they can follow along.
- Video conferencing has an added bonus: your teacher will be able to see where you normally practice.
- They may be able to offer advice they wouldn't know to give in the studio, such as how to adjust your seating at home, improve lighting, and so forth.
Thank you for your flexibility!
These are challenging, unpredictable times for us all.
Thank you for working with us through all the surprises and obstacles that arise!
We wish you good health and good practice time at home.